Friday, February 3, 2012

Let's Talk 'Turquoise'!...Did You Know...?


        Turquoise is an opaque, blue-to-green mineral that is a hydrous phosphate of copper and aluminum........Okay! Okay! I know today's post is suppose to be about hubby and my's 'virtual date night'. But seeing as we can't travel far today, due to a temporarily broken down car, I decided to share my 'turquoise' with you instead. {No worries though! We've got weekend plans for a trip to Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis Indiana on Sunday for Super Bowl XLVI, BABY!!!!! ^_^ I'll tell you about that tomorrow!}
          But back to my crocheted turquoise items...Crocheting is one of the few things I've been doing during my rare 'awake' moments over the last few days. ^_^
     And since I'm not gonna be regaling you today with photos and info about some tropical island, or about some exploit or the other in the south of France, I thought I'd share the interesting things I found out about turquoise! :-) ...Not just the color turquoise, but the mineral turquoise!...I'll tell you about it while I show you my latest creations! :-)
     To start, did you know that being a phosphate mineral, turquoise is inherently fragile and sensitive to solvents?
       This is my latest flower...a turquoise flower! :-)) Something you don't see much of in nature, huh?!...a naturally turquoise flower! :-) ... I put a big button on this one. I think it'll make a great brooch.
          It'll also make a great necklace...I think. But you can't be afraid of getting attention if you're gonna wear this one!
        Did you know that perfume and other cosmetics will attack the finish and may even alter the color of turquoise gems?  And that therefore cosmetics, including sunscreen and hair spray, should be applied before putting on turquoise jewelry? 
       Did you know that the same is true with skin oils and most commercial jewelry cleaning fluids? They will also attack the finish and possibly alter the color of turquoise gems?
        
       Did you notice that the button on my flower has an alarm clock on it?! ^_^ I was trying to stay awake any way I could yesterday. :-] The irony of the button did it!!
      
       Did you know that prolonged exposure to direct sunlight may discolor or dehydrate turquoise?...and that therefore they shouldn't be worn to a beach or other sun-bathed environment?

       As you can now see, I was all about the big buttons while I was in my tired state yesterday! :-) And I'm particularly partial to this one because of the way the opening spaces of the button show off the prism-like inner parts, and really catch the light!
         That'll make an interesting brooch, right?! :-)


     Did you know that turquoise can be adversely affected if stored in an airtight container?...and that after use it should be gently cleaned with a soft cloth to avoid a build up of residue,...and then stored in its own container to avoid scratching by harder gems?!

     Now, that's almost everything I crocheted yesterday!...Almost! I also finished a headband that I'd started the day before...

     Yep! It was turquoise too! ^_^


        Did you know that turquoise has been known by many names, but the word 'turquoise', which dates to the 16th century, is derived from an Old French word for "Turkish", because the mineral was first brought to Europe from Turkey?...Pliny referred to the mineral as "callais",...the Iranians named it "pirouzeh" (meaning 'victory')...and the Aztecs knew it as chalchihuitl.

       Don't you love learning something new about something you loved all along?! :-)

       By the way, I added the silver button to this headband just because I love to see silver and turquoise together. Somehow gold doesn't show it off as much...to me.

      Lastly, did you know that the hardness and richness of color are two of the major factors in determining the value of turquoise;?...while color is a matter of individual taste, generally speaking, the most desirable is a strong sky to "robin's egg" blue (in reference to the eggs of the American Robin)...

           Did you know that, whatever the color, turquoise shouldn't be excessively soft or chalky?...and that even if it's treated, such lesser material (to which most turquoise belongs) is liable to fade or discolor over time, and won't hold up to normal use in jewelry?
        Also, did you know that in recent times, turquoise, like most other opaque gems, has been devalued by the introduction of treatments, imitations, and synthetics onto the market?...UGH! And here I thought the turquoise ring I inherited from my aunt was gonna be my ticket to the big time!! LOL...Back to the drawing board....or to the yarn section of 'JoAnn Fabrics'!! ^_^
        Now, I know that this morning I could've talked about the economy and jobs, the fungus in orange juice, the new chicken wing cupcakes O_O, the blizzard of almost two feet of snow that's hitting the mid-west right now, or something about a potential attack on the U.S. that I heard about on the news this morning...O_O, but I thought turquoise was a safer subject...and a much prettier one! :-) ... Of course I could've talked about the big game too...Super Bowl Baby!!!...but that'll be tomorrow's subject! :-)
      Have a good Friday night, or if I don't see you...computer-wise I mean...have a good weekend everybody!! :-)

Color Is

Auburn is the setting sun.
Blue is a mood.
Black is the night sky.
Brown is dog food.

Green is the grass.
Yellow is the sun.
Gray is the stormy sky.
Purple is just fun.

Pink is carnations.
Plum is a fruit.
Tan is for shoes.
Beige is just cute.

Turquoise is terrific!
Teal is where it's at!
Blue-green is the color
that I have to have...STAT!

Gold is a metal.
White is plain, mild.
Red is a fire.
Orange is hog wild!

8 comments:

  1. I feel like i have just taken a history lesson but i have enjoyed it no end ;-)) I love turquoise its gorgeous colour and for a blue it doesn't feel cold but warm. Love the second button on the flower that is so pretty. Have a lovely weekend, dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ It was a kind of history lesson, wasn't it?! And I enjoyed learning all about turquoise too!..And yeah, I love that second button too. Anything for some color!...Have a good weekend, Dee!

      Delete
  2. Nice info on turquoise. One of my favorite colors! Love the headband!! The second button is my favorite. Great look to the flower.
    Get some sleep my friend so you're alert for super bowl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cin! I thought it was nice to know too! I especially was surprised about the perfumes and stuff. Who knew?...I didn't!...Thanks for the thumbs up on the headband and button flower too...You just put me in an even better mood for the weekend...SUPER BOWL!!! ^_^

      Delete
  3. Deb, thank you for the information on such a beautiful gem. I better go and take care of the pieces that I do have so they will be around long enough for my kids to do something with it later. I'm getting ready for Super Bowl weekend too. All your pieces you did are gorgeous. Have a Great Day!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Velma! And yeah, I have to take care of mine too! Who knew they were 'that' precious?!...I hope you enjoyed the game too!

      Delete
  4. I certainly learnt a lot about turquoise. Here I was thinking it was just a lovely colour :D
    I love that gold button it looks really pretty. I totally agree it would make a great brooch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ That makes two of us! Who knew that I was suppose to be babying my turquoise?! I didn't! ^_^ And thanks for the thumbs up on the gold button brooch!...Now I just need to list it in my shop!....UGH! The listing process is so tedious to me. I need a 'listing-bot'!! LOL

      Delete

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^