Saturday, March 3, 2012

A 'Virtual Date Nght' Full Of Chocolate, Wine And Fondue!


        Besides the fact that these little earrings are just the cutest thing ever....and that they would make a great conversation starter ear accessory on a date!...I love the expressions on these little owl's faces...I think the expressions were totally 'spot-on' for hubby and I yesterday!
      After being inundated with falling snow in our area for....uhhhh....how many days is it now?! O_O...well...DAYS!...and then seeing report after report on the news about the tornadoes that swept through the midwest over the last two nights. :-( ...{The devastation and destruction is just terrible!! So many people injured, and dozens have died.} ... we couldn't wait to go on a 'virtual date' outta here!!!
      And when "we" go on a 'Virtual Date' to escape the news...and the weather... 

             
            ...we go on a 'Virtual Date'!!!! ^_^ ...So, where did we go, you ask?!!...We went here!...

 (Vallée de Joux, Lake Joux and lake Brenet from Dent de Vaulion, from Wikipedia)

          ...To one of the richest countries in the world by per capita gross domestic product...In fact, this country, in 2010, had the highest wealth per adult of any country in the world (with $372,692 for each person)!...


           ...To the country that, in 2010, was ranked by the World Economic Forum as the most competitive country in the world...and was ranked by the European Union as Europe's most innovative country by far...

 (Lake Lugano seen from above Morcote (Ticino), from Wikipedia)

        It's Switzerland!!! :-) 

         Switzerland...with it's numerous lakes, making it an attractive place for sailing...Switzerland, with skiing, snowboarding and mountaineering among its most popular sports...Not to mention what has become an increasingly popular sport among the Swiss...Tennis!! :-)


        No doubt part of it's rising appeal has had something to do with the fact that Swiss players such as Martina Hingis and Roger Federer have won multiple Grand Slams!...In fact, in a seven year span, Roger Federer has won a record 16 Grand Slam singles titles, making him the most successful men's tennis player ever!
        Before I tell you some other things we learned about Switzerland, let me show you what two well-dressed people out on the town in Switzerland might be wearing! :-) ...The lovely lady might be wearing a pretty pair of earrings...


        ....A beautiful necklace...


        ...and a pair of comfortable walking shoes!...


        While the handsome, adventurous gentleman might be wearing a colorful and daring tie...


          .....and a gorgeous watch, sorta like the ones worn on the moon by Apollo astronauts!...

 (Vintage Omega Speedmaster from Wikipedia)

        Which brings us back to some other things about our 'Virtual Date Night' destination: Switzerland is responsible for half of the world production of watches! :-)

--->  The Swiss are the world's largest consumers of chocolate.

--->  The most popular alcoholic drink in Switzerland is wine.

---> I'll just say one thing.... Gruyère cheese. YUM!!! :-)

--->  The Swiss are predominantly German-speaking.

--->  Geneva Switzerland is the birthplace of the Red Cross.

---> And Zurich and Geneva have respectively been ranked as the cities with the second and third highest quality of life in the world.

         The last thing I wanna say about Switzerland is......Fondue!

      Fondue is a Swiss dish of melted cheese served in a communal pot (caquelon) over a spirit lamp (rechaud), and eaten by dipping long-stemmed forks with bread into the cheese.

        Oh! I do sooooo love learning about new places! :-) ...


        It was a great date night! ^_^ ...When we got back in town we still weren't tired. So we lit some lamps...


        ...and sat and watched "In Performance at the White House", the Broadway performance...It was so good. Such talented performers and singers!...including 80 something year old Elaine Stritch singing "I'm Still Here"...

      It beat sitting quiet and watching it rain or snow out the window! LOL ...What did you do on your Friday night?!! :-)     

I Love A New Experience

I love a new experience!
No matter how it's learned.
A fact that's new to me,
or a new food that I've burned.

A place I've never been,
or a person I've not known.
A book I've never read,
or a gadget on my phone.

A song that's not my norm,
or a craft I've never tried.
A veggie fixed a new way,
whether boiled, sauteed or fried.

I love a new experience!
A jolt for my old eyes.
To make my life worth living,
and each day a great surprise!

10 comments:

  1. Deb, once of again because of you I have learned some new facts. Thank you so very much for your wonderful blog posts. As for my friday I spent it working on my design teams posts. My husband had to work today so he was in bed early. It was a very quiet evening for me. Thank you for sharing, Hope you have a Great Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm happy to know you learned something new, Velma! :-) Actually, so did I. I always do!!...And a quiet Friday sounds like fun too! :-)

      Delete
  2. Now you did it!! I want to go to Switzerland! Sounds great! Glad you had fun. Have a great rest of the day too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! It sounds like that's where we need to be too right now!! ^_^ Enjoy your weekend, Bead!

      Delete
  3. Wow is it still snowing? you must have loads now. Looks like you had another great date night in another gorgeous part of the world thanks for sharing some more facts. Enjoy your weekend, dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee! I am happy to report that it is no longer snowing...but it did just stop raining! LOL We're having a fun weather bag at the moment, because it's suppose to get up to 50 degrees(fahrenheit)today too! ^_^ Isn't weather grand?!! LOL...Have a good weekend, Dee!

      Delete
  4. buurr lots of snow, great ideas and lots of interesting facts. Thanks for letting us know...I love those 1st pair of earrings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!...Oh Yeah! But thankfully it's not on the walking and driving areas, and the temp is going up, so it'll probably be all melted in a few days...hopefully! ^_^ Have a good day!

      Delete
  5. Switzerland would be a lovely place to visit. I certainly didn't know that the Swiss were the largest consumers of chocolate! Although I have to admit that their chocolates do taste pretty good :)
    Fondue came from Switzerland? Gosh they have a lot to answer for for that one lol. I might forgive them if they also came up with chocolate fondue though. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, Jo!...Ummm...I mean "It is!!" LOL...And the chocolate thing was the only thing I knew about Switzerland! ^_^ Swiss chocolate?...delicious!!...And I think chocolate fondue "was" their idea too! And the cheese fondue?....YUM also! :-))

      Delete

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^