Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Devastation...But Still Finding Something to Smile About!


      I meant to share this photo with y'all yesterday. This was the only thing hubby and I could see when we opened our window blinds before sunrise yesterday...a full moon...a beautiful full moon!...And when the sun finally came up, all we saw were some light breezes making their way through the backyard, and one lone roof shingle in the middle of the lawn...


      Considering what hurricane Sandy could have done here, we're thankful for the scenes out of our window. It's certainly different up and down the east coast...especially in New York and New Jersey!...On the news this morning I heard that there are now 51 dead, and at least 2 still missing.
       Besides the loss of life, there are 6.8 million people out of power, a fleet of New York city yellow cabs under water..along with the Brooklyn Battery tunnel and at least 46 miles of submerged subway!...There are fires burning uncontrollably along the Jersey shore, and entire beach towns that have been wiped away!...Even the famous amusement park and Merry-Go-Round were demolished!
        There's even one town that's flooded, with the smell of gas and the sound of hissing gas mains, where people are needing to be rescued, but where there's  and no way to get all of them out yet! One spark, they say, and the whole area will blow up!
       That's exactly what did happen in Breezy Point in New York...111 homes, after two explosions, I think it was transformers, burned to the ground!...Add to this fierce winds, snapping of tree after tree, and chest high water on flooded streets, and you begin to feel what it must be like to look out your window along the east coast of the united states this morning! :-(

     You know me though. I had to find something that was worthy of a smile in all of this...and I found more than one! :-) ...There were some little babies who were on respirators that were transported from one New York hospital in the affected area to another hospital by loving nurses who carried them, nuzzled up safe, bagging them with oxygen by hand through the ordeal!
        And at least two babies were delivered at the height of the storm: little Magdeline weighing 7.9 pounds, and little Liam weighing 5.2 pounds! Little Liam's mommy had a real harrowing time! She went into labor just as Sandy was barreling in. Her and her husband were worried about trees hitting  the house, and still had to call the ambulance to take her to the hospital. Two ambulances and a squad car ride later, little Liam was born in a gymnasium...without anesthesia!! O_O YIKES!...but her smile when she was talking about the story she's gonna be able to tell him in years to come, made me smile too! :-)
     Then there were the helicopter rescue people who plucked adults, children and babies from the roofs of their flooded homes and streets. It was their attitude that made me smile, because most of these people had been told to evacuate and didn't. Yet the rescue helpers treated them with the utmost respect, even holding their hands on the two hour rides for some of them, listening to their heartbreaking stories and their regret over not heeding the warnings to leave...Their attitude is one we all can learn from...not to kick a person when they're down just because we can!

      I found something else to smile about yesterday too! I had oodles and boodles of time to crochet! :-) I only made a couple of lapel pins...one was an experiment color...



      I'm not quite sure if I wanna list it just yet. I'll mentally chew on it a little while longer and then decide. :-) 
          I also made some FREE GIFT keychains...





       Making these is a great way to use up all of the extra pink thread I have...I have more of them to do today, unless I get a custom order from my new customer! :-)

        What are your plans on this 'hump day'?! It may be that we could all use a big NAP...and a smile!!!...Tell me all about it! :-) And have a good one, whatever you do!

A Little Doze'll Do You!

I enjoy my sleeping, and a doze,
a nap, and such.
In fact I might enjoy a snooze
entirely waay too much!

At any time of day,
you'll find me like a weeping willow.
Head hung low and dragging,
looking for the nearest pillow.

No, there's nothing wrong.
I'm not depressed. I've still got bounce!
And I can stay awake and be
quite witty when it counts!

But I have been awake for things
when I could have been asleep.
And now my time's so valuable
I don't treat it like it's cheap.

My sleeping, dozing, napping,
is to my life a special key.
It unlocks and refreshes
and dispels anxiety!

Most people try to fill up
every hour in the day.
But me, I'd rather be asleep
and waste it all away.

There's plenty hours left
for all the flit and play and chore.
An hour for a nap right now?!
Why not?! There's 24!! 

4 comments:

  1. What a terrible time people have been having on your east coast, unbelievable! I've been trying to follow it on the news here (Australia) and seeing the parts of NY underwater. And the shocking fire.
    Those poor people.
    Glad to hear you were safe and love that you also give us something to smile about : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure have!! Just looking at the news reports breaks your heart. :-( I'm glad we didn't get the brunt of the storm. It would've been really awful!!..Thank you so much for your comment...and your concern. :-] Have a good day!

      Delete
  2. It breaks my heart to hear about all the destruction that Sandy has caused. I am glad that your little corner of the world was saved from all that chaos and that you are still able tp find something to smile about :)
    I love your little key chains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It breaks my heart too, Jo. :-( At times like this it pays to be a 'glass half full' kinda girl!...By the way, thanks about my keychains too! :-]

      Delete

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^