Thursday, May 29, 2014

Quotable Maya Angelou Inspiration

https://www.etsy.com/listing/180422790/fathers-day-gift-vintage-book-1st-ed-by?ref=favs_view_1

      I don't usually write about public figures when they pass away. But I always write about things that impact me...and the poetry and writing of Maya Angelou did. And in a much bigger way than I realized until I started to see her inspirational quotes being repeated all over the place after the announcement of her death yesterday.
      My first notice of Maya Angelou was in a movie about her life...I think. I say "I think" because I'm really not sure where I first became aware of Maya Angelou. Somehow the knowledge of her, her life story, and her writing...especially her poetry...has always been just a part of my awareness. 
      Probably because I saw so many similarities in our life stories. The good...and the bad, unfortunately. The movie version of her book, "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" had me in those 'ugly' tears!...But, like her, "I wouldn't take nothing for my journey now"! :-] ...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/180422790/fathers-day-gift-vintage-book-1st-ed-by?ref=favs_view_1

      The only book that I can quote with total belief and knowledge is the Bible. But I realized yesterday that I'm pretty knowledgeable about Maya Angelou's quotes too!...even though...I'm embarrassed to say...I didn't always know that it was her I was quoting! O_O
      I 'did' know this quote though!...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/187526270/maya-angelou-quote-when-you-know-better?ref=favs_view_2

      I had to use this quote many times over the years, as I was learning to forgive myself and my relatives...and when I was trying to give advice to friends on how to forgive themselves and their friends and family!...Oh! How many times have I said to myself: "Okay, Girl, so you didn't do that in the best way you could have. But now that you know better, you can do better!"... Or... "No! They were not good people. They didn't treat you in the way that you should've been treated! But now that they know better, maybe they will do better!"

      I've also often repeated the quote: "When people show you who they are, believe them the first time!" But I didn't know that it was Maya Angelou that said it!! :-] ... And below are a couple of other great quotes of hers!...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/184660820/maya-angelou-quote-inspirational-print?ref=favs_view_3

https://www.etsy.com/listing/90812235/maya-angelou-quote-how-you-made-them?ref=favs_view_4

          In her life she was a dancer, a writer, a poet, she did movies, she loved her friends and family, and she loved music!!...She once said: "Music was my refuge. I could crawl into a space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness."
      She was also known to have said: "Success is liking yourself, liking what you do and liking how you do it."...also..."If you have only one smile in you give it to the people you love."...and..."Life loves the liver of it." :-) I could be here all day! :-) But I won't!! ^_^ 
      Because of the Bible and Jehovah God's great love for me, I have become the woman I am today....But because of Erma Bombeck and Maya Angelou I was able to survive my childhood and get to a place in my life where I could come to know, and believe, the Bible's words and the great love that Jehovah God has for me. :-] ... So today I am feeling very thankful...all the way around. And I know that death cannot rob me of the words. They will live on in my heart. ♥


      One of my girlfriends gave me a book of poetry by Maya Angelou entitled "Four Poems Celebrating Women". Included in the book are the 2 poems "Phenomenal Woman" and "Still I Rise". My girlfriend paid me the greatest complement when she said, in her letter to me (which I have had tucked in the book for the last 12 years): "...naturally I thought of you when I saw this little book...She's one of my favorite people....the first poem not only reminds me of you, it sounds like something you even might have written!!" :-) ... I was very flattered because the poem she alluded to was "Phenomenal Woman". :-] If my poetry makes just one person feel the way I felt when reading things Maya Angelou wrote...YAY!! :-) ... Have a good day, Everybody! ♥

Poetry

Poetry, the gift of words,
that help you say whats in your heart;
that puts your thoughts of life together,
but pulls emotions all apart.

Poetry, your quiet friend,
that gives your voice a place to land;
that gives the things you'd  never say
a way to jump out from your hand.

Poetry, done to a beat,
a beat of words, said right in time,
without confusion of the music,
but just the rhythm and the rhyme.

Poetry, phrase harmony;
the way a noun and adverb meet;
the way they line up side-by-side,
and all Not needed they delete.

Poetry, the passing thoughts,
and all the others I hold dear,
of all the people and the places
that I've  written down right here.

Poetry, the gift of words,
and putting them together too;
Without the pen and paper
what in the world would my mind do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^